We all aspire to have a healthy diet, be more active and have a more balanced lifestyle overall. During pregnancy, healthy eating becomes more than wishful thinking that we can put aside. It becomes a responsibility and a priority. We need to pay attention to the vitamins and minerals that our body needs. Our health and our baby’s health can be seriously damaged if we fail to pay attention to our diet during pregnancy.
What do I really need to eat?
There are some foods you should include in your diet immediately, when you find out you are pregnant. These are the key foods that your body needs in order to maintain its health and also provide the baby with everything he needs in his early development. You should always go for healthy food, full of nutrients. Learn about food and which vitamins and minerals each type of food includes, so you can choose the best option. Make sure you include in your diet calcium, iron, important vitamins such as B6 and B12 and don’t forget about omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
Here is a list of the most important foods you should include in your diet:
– Eggs. Eggs are a great source of protein. Just make sure you eat them cooked and don’t eat too many per day, to avoid a rise in your cholesterol levels.
– Milk and pasteurized diary. Calcium is a must both for you and the baby, so drink lots of milk, eat cheese and diary. Just make sure everything is pasteurized and avoid soft cheese.
– Meat. You need to increase your protein intake, so meat is a very good option. Always eat your meat cooked at the right temperature and try to avoid the one that has high amounts of unnecessary fat.
– Fish. Fish is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids so try to include it in your diet. Make sure it’s cooked and also avoid eating too much fish because it can contain mercury.
– Vegetables and fruits. These are a great source of vitamins and minerals. Just make sure you wash them first.
– Whole grains. You need to eat foods that are high on fiber so things like whole grain bread, rice, cereals should be included in your diet.
What do I avoid?
Here is a list of foods that you should avoid during pregnancy:
– food that is high in fat and cholesterol. You don’t need unnecessary fats in your body so try to choose foods that provide healthy fats.
– undercooked meat because it might contain toxoplasma and any perishable meats since it can contain listeria and bacteria. The meat you eat should be cooked at a high temperature of at least 145 F for whole cuts and even as high as 165 F for chicken breasts for example. Also try to make sure the refrigerators in which the meat is stored work properly so the products don’t develop bacteria.
– any type of uncooked fish or raw seafood since you might contact harmful parasites and bacteria. Try to avoid the fish that is high in mercury.
– raw eggs since they might put you in danger by contacting salmonella.
– different types of cheese and anything that is made out of unpasteurized milk because it can contain dangerous bacteria.
– fresh juice and unpasteurized juice since it might have harmful bacteria, such as salmonella and E. coli.
– unwashed fruits or vegetables.
– alcohol and high amounts of caffeine.